The role of the Environmental Working Group (EWG) is to advise and further the mission of the Borrego Springs Watermaster to implement the Stipulated Judgment and comply with Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) by focusing on the protection of human health and the environment. The activities of the EWG shall be approved by the Watermaster Board and will always include a nexus between environmental issues and the sustainable use of groundwater in the Borrego Springs Subbasin. Activities of the EWG could include, but are not limited to:
- Environmental assessment, monitoring, and habitat restoration or enhancement associated with groundwater dependent ecosystems
- Management of fallowed lands and the potential for participating in biological mitigation projects
- Addressing improperly abandoned wells
- Management of non-native (invasive) species for water conservation purposes
- Air quality monitoring
- Pursuit of funding opportunities
Application for Membership
Prospective EWG applicants should have a background in science and one or more of the following specialties: desert ecosystems, groundwater dependent ecosystems, hydrogeology, hydrology, and/or the local water resources and biology of the Borrego Springs Subbasin and surrounding area. Local knowledge of the Borrego Springs area and local residency is also preferred. If you are interested in participating on the EWG, please download and complete the application below.
Completed applications must be returned to the Watermaster’s Executive Director by January 6, 2021:
Samantha Adams, Executive Director
Borrego Springs Watermaster
The Watermaster Board will review the applications and select the EWG members at its Board meeting in January 2021. The EWG will hold its inaugural meeting in February 2021 after the new EWG members have been selected.